While we don’t know exactly what the future may bring, it’s fun to vainly speculate on unfulfilled prophecies.
Some have an unhealthy interest in the end being imminent, too many others completely disregard what God has revealed. I think it important to be ready when God should come for you – whether he be blowing a heavenly trumpet or the horn of a bus accompanied by screeching wheels 😉
Please be aware that many have strong views about this – I favor pre-trib, others post-trib etc. I quite appreciate “pan-trib” i.e. whatever happens, it will all pan out ;-).
I’d like to present two opposing theories I’m toying with: 2018 and 2068.
Arguments for 2018
- On the 14th May 1948, Israel was rebirthed as a nation. 70 years is biblically significant, e.g. the number of years of Babylonian exile and from Jesus’ birth to the destruction of Jerusalem. The day may differ slightly in the Jewish calendar.
- On the 14th July 2015, the 10 year Iran nuclear deal was signed. This failing treaty could be reconfirmed with many nations and Israel for the remaining 7 years i.e. the tribulation.
- Some claim 2018 to be the end of a Jewish jubilee – a year of prophetic significance.
- The timing seems too soon – I don’t think the world is evil enough – neither is the church pure enough.
- The gospel has not been brought to every tribe throughout the earth, but then I can accept this as figuratively fulfilled.
- Ezekiel 39’s 7 year fuel supply would have to coincide with Israel being in hiding for the last 3.5 years.
- All the loonies for the past millennia say “it’s going to be this year”, accompanied with various convincing proofs.
Arguments for around 50 years’ time
- Sir Isaac Newton said: The time times & half time do not end before 2060. …. It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail
- Early church fathers such as Irenaeus taught that Jesus would return around 6000 years after creation, which I believe to be around 2070 – assuming Jerusalem being destroyed by the Romans around 4000 years after creation.
- This would also be a Jewish Jubilee.
- This forms a pattern that the creation week prophecies 7,000 years of humanity with Christ ruling the Sabbath millennia of rest.
- This would exceed the generation that witnesses the budding of the fig tree, but maybe we’re reading too much into this?
- Could the world bear the extent of evil possible?
- It feels like creation is falling apart far quicker than this.
The Russian-Iranian-Turkish “alliance” present in Syria or something similar will suddenly attack Israel. The Israeli Defense Force will have no chance to mobilize against the suddenness of the overwhelming offense. The English and moderate Arab nations will protest this onslaught seemingly for the spoils of war, but will resign Israel to its hopeless demise lest they join them. The onslaught will be obliterated by an act of God, leaving a WMD mess to clean up and enough fuel to sustain Israel for 7 years.
What if 2018 were the beginning of the end?
- Ezekiel 38-39 could happen any moment – maybe a birthday present for Israel – around mid-May.
- France’s Macron or Trump or some other suddenly rising politician will re-enforce the Iran peace deal mid-July with signatories from many nations promoting this leader to world governance and many favors towards Israel.
- The rapture could produce such chaos in the world to instigate such events.
What if 2068 were the beginning of the end?
- A deal could be brokered allowing a Palestinian state, living in peace with Israel.
- Israel could thrive to become a superpower in a few decades.
- Ezekiel 38 could happen this year or in 50.
- The rapture could happen any time, ending the church age and returning God’s focus to Israel who will recognize this miraculous sign and turn back to God. Non-Jews would still come to know God during this time as in the times of the old testament.
- Genetic engineering would lead to hybridization including the reproduction of [Greek] mythology in the quest for super-soldiers and extrapolation of the present trans-whatever trend. The genetic integrity of humanity will be near extinction.
- Nano-technologies would promise life enhancing implants and microscopic body repair – or modifications.
- Robotics and artificial intelligence could lead to a machine-beast that controls humanity.
- Increased prevalence of drugs, artificial realities and witchcraft will totally warp people’s realities.
- Fake news videos will be generated by computers, completely obscuring any truth.
- Our search for oneness with nature will lead us to submit to its chaos, rather than manage it.
- Translation technologies will undo the curse of Babel, allowing all peoples to work together to attempt to destroy God.
- Men being gang-raped and slavery will become commonplace as will indiscriminate organ harvesting. Want a sex change? – just get a body transplant – for the right price, just pick a passing stranger. or maybe one prefers the more ethical, but slower genetic remodeling.
This would be a world that is like that of Noah or Lot.
It need not all be bad – the church would grow rampantly under such persecution as people fall off the fence to one side or the other.
Note this is vain speculation, but I pray that I instigate some neural excitation – that you would reflect on what might be possible and most importantly that you would seek God before he comes – whether it be with trumpet blast or bus horn. I pray also that you would not be led astray or made fearful by various vain speculations – particularly mine.
Shalom – may you be encompassed in peace and wholeness or mind, spirit and body.